Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mother of the Year

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I've been know to be a bit of a scatter brain. I get it honestly for sure. I can remember times from my childhood that my own mom did some pretty bone headed things from time to time. Like backing into SEVERAL of my friends basketball goals. Or taking out a handicapped sign or two in a parking lot. Or sideswiping a tree in our driveway while applying mascara. Or putting diesel fuel in our Suburban...in the middle of the ghetto. The list goes on and on, I'm sure.

Well, it happened to me yesterday as Henry and I were leaving Publix. I ran into a friend of a friend in the parking lot. We had made our acquaintance a few years ago and it was so funny to run into each other again. She is so cute and nice and pregnant as can be with her second child. We were talking about church and daycare and work, etc. We even exchanged phone numbers. My little wiggle worm was itching to get down and run around, so I decided to give him a cracker and put him in the backseat to play while we talked for a minute. When it was time to go our separate ways, she jumped in her car and me in mine. I am cruising down Sam Ritten*berg Blvd. at rush hour traffic when all of the sudden Henry's head POPS into my rear view mirror. He was standing on the backseat with juice in one hand and a cracker in the other! HOLY SH#$T, I had forgotten to strap him into his car seat. And he was happily oblivious to what a MAJOR NO NO his mommy has just committed! All I could see was BIG trucks to my left and right. I was praying out loud to please get me out of this mess and I would NEVER do it again. I oh so gingerly whip the car into the nearest gas station, pop it in park, and jump out as quickly as I can to strap my little lad in. WHEW! No harm, No foul. Right?

I can imagine the sweat is forming on my father in law's brow right about now as he reads this. And, I'm sure my dad's neck is hot just thinking about all the times he's dealt with this sort of incident. I told Brad about it last night and luckily he was very understanding.

So, here's to you mama! And thanks for passing down that gene to me:)

6 comments:

Tricia said...

Congrats, Shelby! Welcome to the exclusive group of "blonde moms"!!!
I, too, could write a book!
Don't worry- it could have been worse. As I was reading your blog, I was holding my breath thinking the worst!!!
Multi-tasking definitely takes practice! tee hee!
I LOVE YOU
tt:)

Lucas said...

I am like your Aunt Tricia....I thought you were going to say Henry was NOT in the car....Whew! I know that freaked you out. I would have too!! I bet Henry was having a good ol time hanging out:)

Anonymous said...

good for you for making this public. I didn't strap kate in the other day and pretty much didn't tell anyone!

Mrs. Montjoy said...

Ha Ha! Truth is, that can happen to anyone! I am glad you and Henry made it though the sticky situation!

McQueens said...

Girl, my list is ssoooooo long...it's just part of being a mother...I hope! Glad he's safe!

Richard said...

Shelby, this post made my laugh! I've nearly done this several times. I meant to comment after you posted, but check my blogs through Google Reader and sometimes forget to go back. Thanks for your sweet comment today! You, too, are a fabulous MOM! We all have moments like this!! It goes with our new title - MOM!