Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 7, 2011

Mystery Diagnosis


This last week or two has been rough around the Earnst household! It all started the Thursday night before we left for the mountains/Halloween weekend. Manning woke us up at around 2:30 and had thrown up all in his crib. We were all set to stay home and hunker down for the "stomach bug", but he woke up the next morning perfectly fine so we went on up. Well it continued the next night, and the next, and the next, and you get the picture. It happened like clock work b/w the hours of 12 and 3 am consistently for 6 nights in a row. I took him to the Dr. Monday when we got back and Dr. Traynham just said it was a virus and that sometimes little ones can drag them out, but it should go away. He was pleased that he had diarrhea along with it and that it wasn't a blockage. Also, he NEVER ran a fever the whole time. I was not so convinced that it was a virus, but went along with it until Wed. and he had continued with the vomiting and diarrhea. I took him back and pretty much demanded that they figure something out b/c my baby was NOT HIMSELF AT ALL. SOOOO fussy and clingy and just all around miserable. A friend of mine mentioned that her daughter had had some similar symptoms and that it was STREP, so I mentioned it to the doctor. She said she didn't think it was that, but they would test for it anyway. Well, my mothers intuition was right and it was STREP. I was floored! I never knew that Strep throat could present in the way of vomiting and diarrhea. CRAZY! One antibiotic shot and he was cured that night. No more sickness! YAY!!!
So for all you mama's out there, just keep in mind that strep throat can present in many different ways. I know i'll be on the look out next time my boys have weird symptoms.

3 comments:

Hanna said...

I am so glad teeny's feeling better and that you listened to your gut. love you!

lasttwin said...

Interesting...Just got back and was told Bradley had the bug. I will be on the lookout!!

Sarah

Cameron said...

so glad manman is feeling better! love you all and miss you!