Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 25, 2008

Meltdown 2008

scene:
baby in buggy in Publix.
beginning to get restless.
try giving him keys, snacks, bottles of pizza sauce, boxes of rice. ANYTHING.
baby's mood escalates.
screams/shouts begin.
wants to crawl out.
trying anything to distract.
kind old ladies were trying to distract.
nothing works.
getting lots of looks.
decide to bolt.
leave 1/2 full buggy in middle of isle.
walk out of store.
I've been warned that this would happen over the course of parenting a toddler. (And in just 2 short weeks Henry will be considered a toddler, I think.) Nana said she had to do this before when her children were young and this is what kept running thru my mind the whole time. "It's ok to just leave it here and walk out. It really is." So that's what we did and it was ok. Funny thing is, as soon as we walked out he was just fine. Not sure what went wrong, but all was right in the world again when we left.
So I was back at Publix last night...by myself...at 7:45. Lovely!

4 comments:

Jean said...

You are awesome Shelby! You are a great mom and i know it gets hard sometimes. Im sure I will leave many shoping carts too! I love you.

Anonymous said...

WOW, what memories that brings back. Sometimes it is just better to "exit stage right".
I love you and just consider this early training.
Lots of love,
Nana

Anonymous said...

Obviously, Henry had had enough! I'd forgotten how much fun late night grocery shopping ALONE was!!!
Don't worry about the onlookers. They were probably reminiscing, too! I have no doubt they were impressed with how calmly you handled Henry's meltdown!! I am so proud of you!
I had a blast last week! Can't wait to do it again!
I LOVE YOU!
Tricia

McQueens said...

Shelby,

I have done that same thing before with Hazel and I'm sure I will again one day with Eliza. Oh, the joys of motherhood.