Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Allergy Update

I wanted to give an update on Henry's newly diagnosed food allergies. Several weeks ago at H's 12 month checkup he was diagnosed with egg, milk, and beef allergies. This was determined by a blood test ordered by his pediatrician. While we trusted the word of the ped, he is not a specialist and really had no advice for me other than a website to reference for my MANY MANY questions.
Brad and I discussed our options and talked to other parents and were referred to Dr. Thomas Harper. He is, in a word, AWESOME. He's an allergist that specializes in pediatrics and is clearly in tune with the special needs of a toddler. Kind of goofy acting and just able to connect with Henry. We saw him on Friday and had a battery of skin tests as well as blood tests done. This was no "day at the park" mind you, but neccessary in order for us to figure out the best way to feed our growing boy. I go back for a conference with Dr. H on April 25 and will get definitive answers and some much needed guidance on our lifestyle change.
Now, let me say that I am aware that ALLERGIES are the business that this doc is in, so his take on this whole deal may be to the exteme. Food allergies seem to be so much more common these days and I attribute it (partly) to the EXTREMELY ANTICEPTIC world in which we live. I will not have Henry living in some "bubble" and turn him into a weirdo vegan, but I do want to get solid, professional advice and then make my own decisions on what to feed my family. The more diligent I am about keeping certain foods out of his diet, the sooner he will grow out of these allergies. I am really starting to become a pro at reading food labels, packing healthy lunches, and preparing good healthy dinners for Henry.
So, that's where we are with all of that! I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

Lucas said...

Shelby,

I know that this must be a bit challenging. I think you are doing the absolute best job that you can as a mommy. I hope that your next appt. will give you the advice and knowledge to tackle his allergies head on. We will be thinking about you guys! Henry looks precious as always!

Love, Sarah

McQueens said...

Shelby,

I am sure that these food allergies that he will grow out of. Hazel was allergic to dairy and she outgrew it by the time she was 2. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Shelby,
I am so proud of how diligently you are working to make sure Henry continues to eat the correct foods so that he can outgrow those allergies as soon as possible.
With all the knowledge you've attained, go ahead and sign your name "Shelby Earnst,MD"!!
Love you!!!
Tricia

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you are having to go through the allergy game. Know that isn't fun because a few of my friends have gone through this with their children. Just takes a little getting used to but he will still be healthy and have a great time exploring different foods. Great talking to you today. Henry is a cutie!!!!! Eliza