Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Flu Shot DENIAL

Since Henry is allergic to eggs and egg is one of the components in the flu shot, we had to go and get skin tested with the batch that they would be potentially giving him. Well, his little sensitive skin reacted which meant he COULD get the shot. But, it would have to be done in a series of 7 intramuscular shots with 15 minutes in between each one. AND then 30 minutes after the last one to make sure he wasn't reacting. That's about 3 hours worth of sitting in the office with an active toddler getting stuck over and over again. It really seemed more like torture to him than good, so I consulted the allergist and decided against it. He said that if I watch Henry very closely for signs of the flu and get him in the office within 48 hours, then he could get Tamiflu on board and hopefully lessen the impact of the flu. Brad and I have both had our flu shots and I will be taking every precaution to keep him well this winter. I am having a little bit of guilt now, but know that I made the right decision for Henry. I seriously think he would have a major doctor/shot phobia if I made him go through that. And, he is NOT asthmatic so he is not in a high risk category.

So, wish us luck this winter!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do NOT feel guilty. You definitely made the right decision. I have never heard of such a long and hard ordeal for giving a little one a flu shot(s)!!!
What torture!
Henry's immunity is probably pretty strong by now. You expose him to other children daily which is a good thing for him.
Love your blog background!
Love you!!!
tt:)

McQueens said...

Shelby,
Neither of the girls or I or Steve have ever had a flu shot and none of us have ever had the flu. Our ped. always lets me decide, and he has never been negative about not getting one. I know little Henry will stay healthy all winter!

Anonymous said...

That really is torture. This IS the year 2008, right? Seems like they would have a better alternative. And you're exactly right that doing this would have risked a major phobia in the future. Love you!
Hanna

Anonymous said...

So glad we had our phone conversation. I love you.
My love to you all.
Nana