Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Why Families with Small Children Should NOT Dine Out


The last time we dined out for dinner, just the 4 of us, was early June. Manning was only 2.5 months old. Now I know why. 6 month olds don't sit still. Neither do 3 year olds. We were seated at 6 o'clockish and all was rather calm for about 5 minutes. That's when Man Man got restless and started grabbing everything on the table. I fed him and got him out. He pooped! Right up the back of the diaper and up his shirt.
Upon my checking to assess the situation I got it all over my hand.

I shanked his pants right there (with poop all over) and put it in my bag. Gathered up wipes, diaper, and diaper pad and off to the ladies room. No changing station so I did it right there on the floor on the pad of course. Manning is rolling all over the place while i'm trying every move in the book to keep any part of him from touching the NASTY floor. Successful, except I have no change of clothes. GREAT! Back to the restaurant (Dog & Duck) with just a T-shirt and diaper. Can we say REDNECK?!?!?

Meanwhile, Brad is wrestling with Henry trying to get him not to BANG his head into the back of the booth and therefore irritating the people behind us. Unsuccessful! And of course, the food took about 45 minutes to come out and by that time we were all in full meltdown mode. I was dying laughing, Manning was crying, Henry was wiggling, and Brad was just rolling his eyes and drinking his beer.

Above is just half of the trash we generated. And yes, there are wipes in that pile. And yes, some have poop on them :) Sorry!
So the next time we mention going out to dinner with our 2 little boys, please remind us of this incident. Sometimes our excitement over one night not eating dinner at home gets ahead of us and we forget what kind of madness can ensue.

And with all the craziness at dinner it was a bit hard to get these two to calm down once at home. See above!

7 comments:

kate's corner said...

ha! can totally relate/learning from your experience...get a sitter! yall have fun this weekend. last pic of the boys is so cute.

kate's corner said...

ps that first pic is so priceless.

hanna said...

weeing myself!!

Tricia said...

Just got home from our annual mountain trip and went by Stephanie's to pick up our mail. She greeted us with, "Have you read Shelby's blog?"
We've had no internet access since Thurs., so I immediately came home to read this!!!
I am still hooting! Tom came in to see what was so hilarious, so now he's dying laughing, as well!!!
I would love to have seen your waiter's reaction to the Earnst table "leftovers"!
(Mimi and Pops, where were YOU?!!!)

Cameron said...

hanna had the only correct response to this: "weeing myself"

Jean said...

SO funny! I love the pic of Manning from behind in the diaper! I can only imagine what it was like on that bathroom floor trying to change a diaper! Funny!

a s t o n + s t e l l said...

Hey Shelby! This is Kate, Anne's friend. I didn't have your email so I linked back to your awesome blog! We dine out like 3 times a week and have for like ever...we are nuts and we have experiences like this 45% of the time!!! what the heck are we thinking? Anyway thank you SO much for commenting re: the John Rosemond book and sending me that cool blog...I subscribed to it and will "take what I need" and leave what I don't:) Thank you so much for your unexpected support...means a lot!

Kate